[Mplayer-dvb] Patch for dvbscale of mplayer

Martin Hoffmann ma.hoff at t-online.de
Fri May 24 20:47:39 CEST 2002

Hi,

i have done some changes to dvbscaling of mplayer !
Actually i check for height values larger than 576 and if so i limit it to
576 - ignoring aspect ratio ! (requested here by several people)
Ignoring aspect ratio ??? Yes, this makes sense since i have a lot recordings
from VDR which are 480x576 (and are meant 4:3 ;-)
Also using videos that are 5:4 or something (discussed here earlier) playback
in fullscreen (no black bars left or right)
So actually it's done the following way: Everything with an aspect ratio
smaller than 4:3 is pushed to 4:3, since i guess that's what was meant !

However i also implemented scaling to certain horizontal resolutions (480,
528, 688, 704 and 720) which seem to be valid X-Resolutions for the DVBs
Cards 2.1 ! All other resolutions in between produce black bars at the right
(at least at my TV set) and wrong aspect.

In combination with this patch my complex mplayer.sh script isn't needed
anymore, since
mplayer -vo mpegpes -ao mpegpes -afm 9 -framedrop -vop
lavc,expand=0:576:-1:-1:1,scale=0:0,dvbscale "$1"
does the trick :-)

I would like if some of you out there could try this patch and report !

@Arpi: what have i done wrong in this patch ? mplayer sometimes reports crazy
values like VO: 480x576 -> XXXx921 (i do not understand why this is printed -
obviously it does not rescale to Y=921 - anyway that would not work....!)

Martin