[Mplayer-dvb] Hardware requirement for divx

Gregoire Favre greg at ulima.unil.ch
Tue May 7 10:05:26 CEST 2002

Hello again ;-))

> > The best would be to not loose too much quality in the process...
> to get best quality - you should od 2-pass encoding, but it is not a
> realtime process
>
> > Could someone give me some advice on it?
>
> try dvbstream + mencoder, i was able to encode at 720x288x25fps with xvid
> at max quality (q=5) on p4 1.8ghz, ~80% cpu usage. libavcodec is about 2
> times faster now, so you should use that. don't forget to add -cache
> option to mencoder, when using with dvbstream.
>
> you need a really fast cpu for full size 720x576 divx encoding...

Thanks you very much for your answer ;-))
So my P3 is way to slow... I have done only one divx encoding (it was at
the begining of memcoder) and the result was really tremendous (two
pass) but it took me a long long long time to encode...

So I have to change my MB/CPU, do you have any recommendation?
I mean between K7/P4/G4?
Any MB are better for that?

Thanks you very much for all info and for mplayer ;-))

	Grégoire
http://ulima.unil.ch/greg ICQ:16624071 mailto:greg at ulima.unil.ch