[Mplayer-dvb] a/v sync mencoder with *.vdr files

Martin Hoffmann ma.hoff at t-online.de
Mon Nov 26 21:34:55 CET 2001

> > i'm experiencing serious A/V sync problems with mencoder while encoding
vdr recordings :-/
> > Don't get me wrong, most are okay, but some are terrible out of sync (up
to half a second i guess - quite noticable)
> Strange. I didn't etsted lot with VDR files yet. Could you upload such
.vdr
> file which triggers this effect in mencoder?
I'll do this (around 400 MB i guess) as soon as my VDR Box is reconnected to
my network ... Hopefully tomorrow - but thats another story!

> > Is it only synced at the beginning until it's supposed to be in sync ?
Or is mencoder checking the PTS for every A / V packet and syncing
> > accordingly ?
> it uses PTS and sync timers, as you can see in status line of mencoder.
> it can be disabled with -mc 0 option. maybe you disabled?
No.

> > AFAIK some DVBs recordings have this problem - i'm unsure why, but it
seems that it's already broadcasted this way ...
> maybe the vdr files are bad? did you try to playback these vdr files wit
> mplayer? did they have good a-v sync?
I played thim with the -vc mpegpes switch through the DVBs Hardware and it
wasn't in sync, too :-(
But playing them in VDR ist just fine - the same if converting them with
PVAstruento (a tool for Demuxing DVBs recording and taking care of the a/v
sync according to the PTS info) and playing in WMP

> > Unfortunately the file is more than 1 GB - so it's rather impossible to
upload it to check it out for you :-( !?
> no problem at our side. we have >2gb free space at incoming wih 10mbit
net.
cut something off - see above!

Martin