[Mplayer-dvb] playback speed - misterious

Schuett Thomas Thomas.Schuett at icn.siemens.de
Fri Nov 23 18:21:30 CET 2001

Hello,

maybe I should send my question to the main mplayer list,
but however, I feel more familiar with you DVB people :)

1) I fed the result file of PVAStrumento to mplayer
    -> very very slow motion

2) I fed the result file of PVAStrumento to mplayer with -framedrop
    -> very very slow motion, no difference

3) I fed the result file of PVAStrumento to mplayer with -vc mpegpes
    -> very very slow motion, no difference
    (but no error msg or so, I think the hardware decoder is installed properly)

4) I fed the result file of PVAStrumento to xine, as it came with the suse
    distribution
    -> normal speed

Questions:
- Is xine using other (faster) codecs ? Can they be used for mplayer ?

- Is it "normal", that mplayer MPEG2 codec only gives "slow motion"
  on a Celeron 600 ?

- Is even -framedrop not enough to make it usefull with a Celeron600 ?

- Why did even -vc mpegpes could not help ? Anything I can do for further
  problem analysis ? (I don't think the hardware decoder was really used)

Thanks,
  Thomas