[Mplayer-dvb] Encoding!

Arpi arpi at thot.banki.hu
Sat Nov 3 02:52:11 CET 2001

Hi,

Many users asked the usual question already: what about encoding
VDR-recorded movies to Divx?

Now mplayer (actually mencoder) can do that.
Encoding to 1-pass or 2-pass (recommended) DivX 4 with VBR mp3 audio.
I've just finished some tests, grabbing from RTL 2 and encoding it to
2-pass 800kbit divx:

./mencoder -divx4opts br=800 -pp 0x20000 /6/video/@Pro7/2001-11-03.02.17.50.50.rec/001.vdr -frames 1500 -pass 1
./mencoder -divx4opts br=800 -pp 0x20000 /6/video/@Pro7/2001-11-03.02.17.50.50.rec/001.vdr -frames 1500 -pass 2

Results are good enough, compared to SVHS, but if you want DVD quality, use
1500/1800kbps. 800 kbit gets blocky (ok, postprocessing filters do a great
job eliminating them) at fast movement parts.

Warning! I got reports from windows users that vbr mp3 audio not playable
with windows players :( It is strange as NanDub creates such files too.
Try it and report me if it works or if not. If you have working file with vbr
mp3 audio, upload a sample (first 1-2 mb).

The next step is doing it realtime. It will require really strong cpu, but
if you have, you'll be able to grab directly to divx avi.
And hey, cpu is cheap nowdays :)

A'rpi / Astral & ESP-team

mailto:arpi at thot.banki.hu
http://esp-team.scene.hu