[MPlayer-DOCS] Interested in contributing case studies

Thomas Lunde thomas at lunde.net
Tue Jan 9 21:23:12 CET 2007

Mark Pilgrim wrote:
> Otherwise looks great.  Thanks for picking this up again.  I can write
> up a similar case study for H.264 encoding for 5G iPods.

Yes, please.

> I've been
> doing quite a bit of that lately, and I think I've identified the
> minimal set of required options.  Of course, Apple just released the
> 6G iPod today, which may have different capabilities.

There will be a 480x320 screen on the iPhone, which is interesting.  It's
neither 16x9 nor 4x3.  Does anyone know (or can find out, if you're at
Macworld) if the video player's CPU can handle H.264 at 480x270 (for 16x9)
and 426x320 (for 4x3)?

There's the appleTV, too.  It supports up to 1080i/720p output,
apparently.  Here's a bit from the specs at
http://www.apple.com/appletv/specs.html

Video formats supported: H.264 and protected H.264 (from iTunes Store):
640 by 480, 30 fps, LC version of Baseline Profile; 320 by 240, 30 fps,
Baseline profile up to Level 1.3; 1280 by 720, 24 fps, Progressive Main
Profile. MPEG-4: 640 by 480, 30 fps, Simple Profile

TV compatibility

    * Enhanced-definition or high-definition widescreen TVs capable of
1080i 60/50Hz, 720p 60/50Hz, 576p 50Hz (PAL format), or 480p 60Hz

That sounds very much like the decoding profiles of a 5.5G iPod, plus a
better upscaler.  The CPU, however, ought to blow the doors off of an iPod
so I wonder if "appleTV-only" content could be higher quality.

Thx
Thomas