[MPlayer-DOCS] Interested in contributing case studies

Mark Pilgrim pilgrim at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 21:06:01 CET 2007

On 1/8/07, Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, attached patch is the patch that will be comitted to MPlayer svn
> once the eventual wording/grammar problems are fixed.

+  <application>QuickTime</application> 7 supports H.264 video and AAC audio,
+  but it does not support the AVI container format.  However, you can use

This is not entirely correct (and it's my fault because I originally
wrote it this way).  QuickTime does support the AVI container format,
but it does not support H.264 video (nor AAC audio) within the AVI
container format.  It does support other codecs within an AVI, just
not modern ones.

+  (which wastes a lot of disk space) or downscale (which looses some
+  details of the source) the video to square pixels.

s/looses/loses/

+  show the same frame twice.  Unfortunately, this "soft duplication" does
+  not survive remuxing, so the audio will slowly lose sync with the video.

s/will/would/

+  After much experimentation, the author of this guide chose to encode
+  this movie at 900kbps, and though that it looked very good.

s/though/thought/

+  The resulting AVI should play perfectly in
+  <application>MPlayer</application>, but of course
+  <application>QuickTime</application> can not play it because it does
+  not support AVI files.  So the next step is to remux the video into
+  an MP4 container.

Again, QuickTime supports the AVI container but does not support H.264
within AVI.

Otherwise looks great.  Thanks for picking this up again.  I can write
up a similar case study for H.264 encoding for 5G iPods.  I've been
doing quite a bit of that lately, and I think I've identified the
minimal set of required options.  Of course, Apple just released the
6G iPod today, which may have different capabilities.

--
Cheers,
-Mark