[MPlayer-DOCS] Change charset for help_mp-de.h

mail at kraymer.de mail at kraymer.de
Sun Sep 17 16:07:46 CEST 2006

> On Sat, Sep 16, 2006 at 01:25:34PM +0200, mail at kraymer.de wrote:
>> Hey folks,
>>
>> since I'm using unicode on my system for a while now, I'd like to
>> change the character encoding of help_mp-de.h from iso-8859-1 to
>> utf-8. It makes editing the file easier for me.My guess is that iconv
>> will take care of all necessary conversions when the sources are
>> compiled but well, I thought I better ask here for opinions on that
>> before commiting the following changes:
>> 1. conversion: iconv -f ISO-8859-1 -t UTF-8 help_mp-de.h > <new
>> version>
>>
>> 2. change of help_mp-de.h.charset
>>
>> Is it okay to go with that?
>
> I'm in favor of it. That looks like the right way to do it. BTW there
> may be a way to tag text files with svn to indicate their charset. Not
> sure if we're doing it yet but we should if it's possible, since it
> might enable the diffs sent to mailing list to be flagged with the
> correct charset (and thus readable).

I did some investigating about it.. My results so far are:

1. The propoperty svn:mime-type is supposed to handle the charset/encoding
(I still confuse these), so for example it could be set to "text/plain;
charset=UTF-8".
2. There was some confusion on the svn dev list about how to treat
encodings too (discussion about adding an extra property, see:
http://svn.haxx.se/dev/archive-2002-08/0701.shtml (four years old)).
3. There is a switch --encoding, but it doesn't work with the svn diff
command.
I just found logs of #svn help channel which can be searched. Currently,
I'm going through this log:
http://colabti.de/irclogger/irclogger_log/svn?date=2006-08-03,Thu#l390

So I changed the property locally to what I've written above but I'm not
certain how to test if it does what we want. Ok, that's it for now from
me.

Sebastian