[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

mail at kraymer.de mail at kraymer.de
Mon Oct 30 15:34:50 CET 2006

> On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 05:14:29PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>
>> This makes me think that the moment to convert everything to UTF-8 may
>> have come.  Others have been lobbying for it before, I'm willing to go
>> along now.
>>
>> Is there anything that speaks against the conversion?  Will it cause
>> problems for translators?  Any volunteers to do it?
>
> One question: What is a good way to find out the encoding of a file?

On some occasions, I was wondering about the same..

> help/help_mp-mk.h is marked as UTF-8, but this is wrong.  file does not
> say that it is UTF-8-encoded as it does for some other help files and
> the file looks wrong in vim on my UTF-8 system (although I see
> seemingly correct cyrillic with cat and less..).  Also, iconv complains
> about "iconv: illegal input sequence at position 3839" when converting
> the file to UTF-8...

Hm, strange behaviour for me too. For example, kwrite shows the characters
correctly and indicates utf-8 as encoding (all cryllic ones I tried
garbled the text).About the "illigal input sequence" (that occured here too), this seems due
to some very weird character for space or \three-dots. I fixed it
(->patch) and conversion (iconv -t utf8 ..) works fine. Also, a diff from
before and after iconv shows no difference.
Still wondering about wrong display in vim but I think the encoding is
indeed utf-8.
Btw, that was chosen by reimar in r18115 where the .charset files were
created.
Sebastian

PS: Since that probably won't hurt, I'll apply attached patch soon.
PPS: I'm not sure if this file is of much use any more, it's initial
translation dates back to end of 2003 (r11524); after that, only general
changes/fixes were applied. I might try to contact the initial author.