[MPlayer-DOCS] [RFC] converting documentation to UTF-8

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Oct 30 15:04:37 CET 2006

On Sat, Oct 28, 2006 at 05:14:29PM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> This makes me think that the moment to convert everything to UTF-8 may
> have come.  Others have been lobbying for it before, I'm willing to go
> along now.
>
> Is there anything that speaks against the conversion?  Will it cause
> problems for translators?  Any volunteers to do it?

One question: What is a good way to find out the encoding of a file?
help/help_mp-mk.h is marked as UTF-8, but this is wrong.  file does not
say that it is UTF-8-encoded as it does for some other help files and
the file looks wrong in vim on my UTF-8 system (although I see seemingly
correct cyrillic with cat and less..).  Also, iconv complains about
"iconv: illegal input sequence at position 3839" when converting the
file to UTF-8...