[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS-compatible mode for SVN? / Major annoyance with SVN revision numbers

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Thu Oct 5 13:16:43 CEST 2006

On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 11:17:46AM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> On 10/4/06, Diego Biurrun <diego at biurrun.de> wrote:

> >> Then I'd need to know what was the initial revision number of MPlayer
> >> when it got online the first time after the crash. How to I do this?
> >
> >I can give you the old RCS files, maybe this helps.
>
> I don't know what there are: are these the files on the server-side,
> or on the client-side?
> In any case, what I would like to be able to do is get the English
> version against the last update of the french translation has been
> made, so that I can produce a diff of the changes to be done on the
> french doc to make it up-to-date.
>
> Is that possible with the RCS files?
>
> Alternatively, if I can find which is first revision of the SVN
> repository when it got online, I could probably go to that version and
> diff all the old english files against current ones, and I shall be
> all set.
>
> Either way, it's time consuming and I don't like that...

I really recommend to scratch all this fancy stuff and just look at the
history of the files.  Check when a translator made the last commit to a
file, compare with the history of the English master file, find out
which is the last change contained in the translation.

Yes, it's a bit of manual work, but it's clearly bounded and really not
that much.  Think of it as having the best worst-case complexity ;)