[MPlayer-DOCS] fate of the video/sound cards sections

mail at kraymer.de mail at kraymer.de
Mon Nov 20 18:32:51 CET 2006

> On Tue, Nov 14, 2006 at 10:26:33PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>> I've just looked at the video card and sound card section in our
>> XML/HTML docs again:
>>
>> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/video-cards.html
>> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/sound-cards.html
>>
>> They are both horribly outdated and I'm not sure if they are useful at
>> all nowadays that the available cards/chips have changed so much.
>>
>> I'm tempted to just remove the sections since nobody is going to
>> update them anyway.  Are they worth keeping?
>
> Hmm, nobody cares?

Do you also intend to remove stuff to which these pages have links?
I think the two pages you mention aren't really necessary as long as
descriptions for the video cards remain..* (And you're right, they _are_
awfully outdated. Proposing to switch resolution to 358xSomething isn't
really practical nowadays..)
* Probably some of the vo descriptions need some updating (working status,
issues..)
IMO the sound card page isn't really needed. Descriptions for AC3 software
and hardware decoding should of cause be preserved. But the "sound cards
section" (chapter 9) a) flames about improper sound driver implementations
and b) reports problems regarding alsa5 which nobody uses anyway.The only useful hint is -autosync option but well, it's probably not worth
to keep the whole section for that.
My 2 c

Sebastian