[MPlayer-DOCS] Online Russian HTML page, generated from mplayer.1 is broken

Andrew Savchenko Bircoph at list.ru
Wed Nov 8 23:23:20 CET 2006

On 8 Nov 2006 20:33, voroshil at gmail.com wrote:
> > Should be easy enough:
> >
> > iconv -t UTF-8 -f KOI8-R < DOCS/man/ru/mplayer.1 >
> > $DESTDIR/mplayer.1
> >
> > or similar integrated into 'make install'.
>
> I think (if you wish to keep all docs in unicode), better way
> will be keeping man page as UTF-8 in source tree and convert it
> to KOI8-R during install. I'm afraid that many russian distros
> have troubles with unicode man pages (but i'm not sure about
> this).

Patriculary on my system it is not a problem to read utf-8 manuals
(I use ASP 11, which is FC5-based). But I agree that cyryllic
workstations are not utf-8 ready and confirm a lot of troubles
with reding utf-8 manuals on other/older systems.

IMHO we can't force unicode man pages, because users will be forced
to use utf-8 systems to read them. So the best solution will be
one proposed by Vladimir: convert man page to system's locale
during install.