[MPlayer-DOCS] Online Russian HTML page, generated from mplayer.1 is broken

voroshil at gmail.com voroshil at gmail.com
Wed Nov 8 18:33:41 CET 2006

Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > This will be a problem at least on my Gentoo box. It does not show
> > UTF-8  man pages correctly under koi8-r locale. So converting man
> > pages to unicode will be good solution only after creating apropriate
> > install script.
>
> Should be easy enough:
>
> iconv -t UTF-8 -f KOI8-R < DOCS/man/ru/mplayer.1 > $DESTDIR/mplayer.1
>
> or similar integrated into 'make install'.
I think (if you wish to keep all docs in unicode), better way will be keeping
man page as UTF-8 in source tree and convert it to KOI8-R during install.
I'm afraid that many russian distros have troubles with unicode man pages (but
i'm not sure about this).

> > I prefer to keep koi8-r encoding till translation end.
>
> What difference does it make?  XML docs are already UTF-8...
>
> > P.S. I also will try to found solution to show unicode man pages on
> > non-unicode locale correctly.
>
> You may wish to look at groff-utf8.
I meant some world-wide solution, that will work on any (or most) distro out of
box :)
I my case (translating man page) iconv+groff will be enough.

Ok. If you say 'yes' i'll convert man page to UTF-8.
This would not be much harder than working with unicode xml files.

--
Regards,
Vladimir Voroshilov mailto:voroshil at gmail.com
Omsk State University