[MPlayer-DOCS] DOCS/tech/cvs-howto.txt

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Jun 22 23:27:30 CEST 2006

Ivo wrote:

> On Thursday 22 June 2006 00:32, Ivo wrote:
>
>> I didn't got to writing something today, but I will try to come up
>> with a short version of section III tomorrow. Something describing
>> a typical development procedure, like checkout, edit, create patch,
>> send patch to mailinglist, fix, etc, commit. We could decide later
>> what to do with it. Like replace section III, add it to section I,
>> or just bin it ;)
>
> See attachment.

> III. Beginners Guide
> ====================
>
> The typical flow of development would be:
>
> 1. Checkout the source:

"Check out" - because "checkout" in English, rather than in command-line
syntax, is a noun not a verb.

> 2. Make your changes

Missing period.

> 3. Create a patch:
>
>   Run svn diff from the source of the svn tree, like this:
>
>     svn diff > my_changes.patch

I would suggest inserting a 'cd' command into this example, to
demonstrate changing to the correct directory. Otherwise, it sounds from
the preceding line as if this command will always produce a diff as if
from the root of the source tree.

(Speaking of which, the phrase "the root of the source tree" would
probably be better than "the source of the svn tree" - and if not, you
certainly want to capitalize "SVN".)

> 4. Check the patch:
>
>   Checkout another, clean svn source tree and verify your patch:

Again, "Check out", and capitalization on "SVN".

It might be worth noting, either here or above, how to produce a second
checkout which will not overwrite the first - it's simple, but this file
is for SVN beginners, and they won't necessarily know about even the
simple things.

> 5. Submit the patch:
>
>   Send an e-mail to the mplayer-dev-eng mailinglist. Describe what your
>   patch does and why and attach the patch file for review by others.

Needs a comma after "why".

> 6. During the review process, incorporate all suggested fixes. Go to step 2
>   repeatedly until there is nothing more to do for step 6. Offcourse, if
>   you don't agree with certain suggestions, things can be discussed on
>   the mailinglist in a polite manner.

"Of course"

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.