[MPlayer-DOCS] r21508 - trunk/DOCS/xml/en/encoding-guide.xml

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Tue Dec 5 13:26:06 CET 2006

Guillaume POIRIER wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 12/5/06, gpoirier <subversion at mplayerhq.hu> wrote:

>>  <para>
>>    Most DVDs also have some degree of black borders at the edges. Leaving
>> -  these in place can hurt quality in several ways.
>> +  these in place will hurt quality <emphasis role="bold">a lot</emphasis>
>> +  in several ways.
>>  </para>
>
> Mmm... While re-reading this sentence, I feel like it could be
> further improved:
>
> Wanderer, wouldn't be better to say:
>
> Leaving these in place will hurt quality <emphasis role="bold">a
> lot</emphasis>, for the following reasons:
>
> ?

In some ways that would be an improvement, but the phrasing of the
following paragraphs does not seem consistent with what I'd expect from
the kind of "list of reasons" you refer to. It might be possible to
rephrase them to suit, and the end result would probably be better, but
I'm not sure it's worth the effort involved - particularly since I don't
have the time at present to contribute much. (Having an actual
8ish-to-4ish job is good in a lot of ways, but it does cut down on
either one's free time or one's sleep time.)

While I'm here: the "also" in the first line of the first paragraph of
that immediately following list seems out of place. At first glance it
would seem to mean "Like some of the compression techniques we have
already mentioned, MPEG-type compression is higly dependent on" et
cetera - but we haven't mentioned any. Alternately, it could mean "In
addition to being highly dependent on the things which we have already
mentioned, MPEG-type compression is highly dependent on" et cetera - but
the phrasing would still seem a little jarring given the intervening
presence of the paragraph you just changed, and in any case the word
"depend" as such does not appear anywhere earlier in the file.

--
       The Wanderer may have been rambling

side of it.

Secrecy is the beginning of tyranny.