[MPlayer-DOCS] behaviour of # in man/mplayer.1

Paul TT paultt at hackerjournal.it
Sat Nov 5 11:27:51 CET 2005

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:17:20 +0100
Guillaume POIRIER <poirierg at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 11/5/05, Paul TT <paultt at hackerjournal.it> wrote:
> > the # key switches between audio tracks, in mkv and MPEG streams.
> > but reading the man page, its not so clear that it works for dvd
too.

> That's true... Well, I guess your may also say that it should work on
> DVB streams too, though I can't tell for sure as I don't have a
> (working) dvb card.
>

> > moreover OSD tells nothing about audio change...
>
> Are you sure? OSD does say what is the language of the new track you
> switched to. Would you suggest that it should print that the track has
> been switched?

osd tells you about subtitle tracks, but afaik nothing about audio
change...

anyway that patch is almost ready :-)

> I don't quite see a "clean" way to add that information. Here is
> current description:
>
> # (MPEG and Matroska only)
>                    Cycle through the available audio tracks.
>
> the easiest solution is probably:
>
> # (MPEG, DVD, DVB and Matroska only)
>
> but I can't help thinking that someone who's more on the tech side
> will think it looks a bit duplicate.
>
> What do you think?

mhhh, i was thinking about writing it different, like :

# (not guaranteed to work with any format)

or something similar, like

#
     Cycle through the available audio tracks.
     NOTE: not guaranteed to work with any file format.

since indeed it works with dumpfiles too...