[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en faq.xml,1.66,1.67

Guillaume Poirier poirierg at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 11:49:49 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 05:23:47 -0500, The Wanderer
<inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:
>
> > +I cannot pinpoint the cause of some strange playback problem.
> > +</para></question>
> > +<answer><para>
> > +Do you have a stray <filename>codecs.conf</filename> file in
> > +<filename>/usr/local/etc/</filename> or a similar location? Remove it,
> > +outdated <filename>codecs.conf</filename> files can cause obscure problems
> > +and is intended for use only by developers.
>
> Juxtaposing the old and new forms like this (specifically though not
> exclusively, joining the sentences with a comma) is ugly English. (A
> slight exaggeration, but that's the term that came to mind.) I'd phrase
> the answer like:

I'm really sorry that it sounds so bad, please just consider that I'm
not a native, and had more experience on spoken English than written
English. I'm just trying my best to share my experience and problems
with MPlayer so other users don't fight against the same problems.
I'm grateful that you and others are taking care of the reviewing
task. I wish the reviewing could be one on the list on patches I sent
rather than on CVS commit (I have no excuse here, as I didn't send a
patch beforehand. I'm referring to my contribution to mencoder.xml for
which I'd really appreciate if someone could enlighten me regarding my
phrasing).

Anyway, Thanks a lot for your suggestions, they are indeed very good
and I appreciate them.

Regards,