[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en faq.xml,1.66,1.67

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Mar 24 11:23:47 CET 2005

Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:

> +I cannot pinpoint the cause of some strange playback problem.
> +</para></question>
> +<answer><para>
> +Do you have a stray <filename>codecs.conf</filename> file in
> +<filename>/usr/local/etc/</filename> or a similar location? Remove it,
> +outdated <filename>codecs.conf</filename> files can cause obscure problems
> +and is intended for use only by developers.

Juxtaposing the old and new forms like this (specifically though not
exclusively, joining the sentences with a comma) is ugly English. (A
slight exaggeration, but that's the term that came to mind.) I'd phrase
the answer like:

==
Do you have a stray <filename>codecs.conf</filename> file in
<filename>/usr/local/etc/</filename> or a similar location? If so,
remove it. <filename>codecs.conf</filename> is no longer necessary, and
having an outdated one can cause obscure problems.
==

(plus the similarly delimited change below)

> +For instance, the FourCC for Vobis has been changed recently.

I don't think I like the use of "recently" here, unless we plan to
update this example when enough time has passed that the change is no
longer recent. Perhaps "the FourCC for Vorbis changed at one point."?

> +If you have an old <filename>codecs.conf</filename> lying around somewhere
> +then it doesn't contain this new FourCC.
> +Therefore no playback.

Comma after "somewhere".

> +Unless you intend to get involved in developing <application>MPlayer</application>,
> +it cannot do you any good and should be deleted.

==
<filename>codecs.conf</filename> is intended for use only by developers.
Unless you intend to get involved in developing
<application>MPlayer</application>,
it cannot do you any good and should be deleted.
==

Sound good?

side of it.