[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.1049,1.1050

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Jul 27 00:26:56 CEST 2005

Reimar Döffinger wrote:

> Hi,
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2005 at 04:54:53PM -0400, The Wanderer wrote:
>
>> Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:
>>
>>> +Intended to work even with the most basic OpenGL implementations,
>>> +but also makes use of newer extensions, allowing to support more
>>> +color spaces and direct rendering.
>>
>> "allowing to" is a mistake of some type; "allowing it to" would be
>> better, but the result would still be something I'd have wanted to
>> rephrase. How about "which allow support for"?
>
> Yes, I wanted to say "alowing it to", but only because I didn't have
> any better idea, I know it doesn't sound good.

Does this mean that you're OK with my other suggestion?

>> Hmm. Vague memory (supported by a quick grep of the man page)
>> indicate that we use "colorspace" so far; we might want to drop the
>> internal space in that phrase, here.
>
> Probably color-space would be more correct I guess (at least I am
> always told that you usually don't connect words directly in
> English).

Usually you don't, but there are always exceptions; that's how compound
words arise. In this case, I'm simply extrapolating from the fact that
the man page mentions "colorspace" ten times but "color.space" not at
all; I wouldn't be 100% opposed to using either the space- or
hyphen-separated form, although I sort of prefer the current usage, but
if so we'd need to change it everywhere in the docs (and program output)
rather than just in this one place.

side of it.