[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en install.xml,1.55,1.56

Jiri Heryan technik at domotech.cz
Mon Feb 7 08:50:38 CET 2005

Hi guys, since I'm author of this, i (hope) can answer some of your
questions

Diego Biurrun napsal(a):

>Torinthiel writes:
>

>>On Sat, Feb 05, 2005 at 03:33:39PM +0100, Diego Biurrun wrote:
>>

>>>Let's compare..
>>>
>>>old:
>>>mplayer dummy.avi -fps subtitles_fps -subfps avi_fps [-subdelay sec]
>>>[-sub subtitle_filename] -dumpmicrodvdsub
>>>
>>>new (without reordered options):
>>>mplayer dummy.avi -fps subtitles_fps -subfps avi_fps
>>>-sub subtitle_filename -dumpmicrodvdsub
>>>
>>>I basically reordered the options, removed the optional -subdelay and
>>>made -sub and -dumpmicrodvdsub not optional, which I think they
>>>aren't..
>>>

>>-dumpmicrodvdsub wasn't optional ;)

No it wasn't but can be replaced by other (i.e. -dumpmpsub) .  Why there
is no <optional> tag, so we can  put really optional stuff there and
necessary but replaceable into <replaceable>s.

>I think so as well, that's why I removed the <replaceable> tags around
>it.
>

>>I think I misunderstood how it works. If dummy.avi isn't the file
>>subtitles are for (and it probably isn't, would it work with
>>/dev/null instead?) then -{,sub}fps are necessary.
>>

>No idea.

I was not tested it against /dev/null.
 I doubt if anyone will need it when one repairs subtitles. Usually you
will finetune it by -subfps and do a conversion with changed options.
Movie name change is more typing and if there is one movie in directory
(common for me) you can use wildcard as well so where is the need for
/dev/null?
The -sub option  is not necessary when MPlayer do autoload. Even if you
have several subfiles, MPlayer will dump actual file switched by "i" (or
whatever is it).

>>BTW are you sure this: -fps subtitles_fps -subfps avi_fps is correct?

I am veri sure. When you play a movie, you can tune your subtitles rate
by -subfps but when dumps, MPlayer will consider your  movie's rate and
subs' rate are both correct and -subfps tells it you want convert from
right rate to new.  Accordingly you must set the movie fps to match the
old subtitle rate for correct conversion.

Ad [-subdelay] removed: I think there is right place to demonstrate this
option there. If not, maybe we might find better place for it.

Jiri Heryan