[MPlayer-DOCS] [NEW FILE] slave.1

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 12:09:01 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 8/24/05, Oded Shimon <ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:40:13PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> > Hi there,
> >
> > The slave mode of MPlayer has not been advertised as much as it deserves to.
> > Please find in attachment of "GROFFed" version of the slave mode doc.
> > I checked the formatting, it seems okay on my side.
> >
> > If ever that file get committed, we will need to find a name for that
> > file. I propose "mplayer-slave", and propose to add a script called
> > "mplayer-slave" that launches the movie given in parameter in slave
> > mode.
> >
> > Please tell me what you think.
>
> Well you asked...
>
> I don't really like it :/ I don't want MPlayer to do any more man page

MPlayer todo list states that mplayer.1 should get splitted one day to
mplayer.1 and mencoder.1. The more I think about it, the more I think
it'd be a Good Thing(TM).

> and
> /bin pollution than it does. (I can especially say I'm very against
> 'mplayer-slave' being automatically installed with make install - it would
> ruin tab completion! 'mpl<tab>' gives me 'mplayer ', after which i can
> immedeatily write the filename... this would make it expand to 'mplayer',
> without the space, cause it's ambiguous.)
>
> Although it's really not in the same format as most XML docs ("story"), It
> obviously won't fit in mplayer.1, and I really don't like the idea of
> making it a different man page. So, either keep it as text (its location is
> mentioned in the man page, right next to the -slave option, how are people
> missing it, yet still know -slave??), or make it XML.. That's my opinion
> anyway.

The idea of using a man page is that:

- man page are supposed to a comprehensive list of options
- The current layout of slave.txt is close to what a man page looks like
- XML is more a "how to do this or that" and supposed to be documenting
  every aspect of smth, yet if one day it could be the case, that would be
  neat [or that could also mean that the project will be dead :) ]
- I already converted slave.txt to a groff last night! :)

/me summons Diego

Live fast, die old, and make very sure everyone knows you were there.
 -- Alan Cox