[MPlayer-DOCS] [NEW FILE] slave.1

Oded Shimon ods15 at ods15.dyndns.org
Wed Aug 24 11:45:49 CEST 2005

On Tue, Aug 23, 2005 at 11:40:13PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> The slave mode of MPlayer has not been advertised as much as it deserves to.
> Please find in attachment of "GROFFed" version of the slave mode doc.
> I checked the formatting, it seems okay on my side.
>
> If ever that file get committed, we will need to find a name for that
> file. I propose "mplayer-slave", and propose to add a script called
> "mplayer-slave" that launches the movie given in parameter in slave
> mode.
>
> Please tell me what you think.

Well you asked...

I don't really like it :/ I don't want MPlayer to do any more man page and
/bin pollution than it does. (I can especially say I'm very against
'mplayer-slave' being automatically installed with make install - it would
ruin tab completion! 'mpl<tab>' gives me 'mplayer ', after which i can
immedeatily write the filename... this would make it expand to 'mplayer',
without the space, cause it's ambiguous.)

Although it's really not in the same format as most XML docs ("story"), It
obviously won't fit in mplayer.1, and I really don't like the idea of
making it a different man page. So, either keep it as text (its location is
mentioned in the man page, right next to the -slave option, how are people
missing it, yet still know -slave??), or make it XML.. That's my opinion
anyway.

- ods15