[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml, 1.10, 1.11

Jeff Clagg snacky at ikaruga.co.uk
Sun Aug 21 00:31:34 CEST 2005

On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 10:44:12PM +0200, Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
> Note: I have the same "layout" for the encoding settings examples of
> xvid and lavc, so please tell me what you think of it in addition of
> the usual nits. I'm personally not satisfied with the way I put them.

My personal opinion is that the layouts are quite sensible, but maybe
I'm not very skillful at design and layout tasks.

I do have a broader problem with the organization of the encoding docs,
which is that many people expect to be able to find practical video
encoding advice in the man page. More than once I've seen the completely
understandable complaint that "I RTFM'd and I still have no clue which
lavcopts are best for my situation." IMO the best way to remedy this
problem is to add a couple of notes to the manpage stating that the
manpage is intended to provide an exhaustive list of options, and
practical encoding advice is available if you build the XML docs.

Adding lots of encoding tips to the manpage shouldn't be considered as
a solution, because that would make it even more huge and unwieldly than
it already is, plus it'd undercut the purpose of the XML docs.