[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml, 1.10, 1.11

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Sat Aug 20 22:44:12 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 8/20/05, Jeff Clagg <snacky at ikaruga.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 20, 2005 at 10:13:05PM +0200, Guillaume Poirier CVS wrote:
> > +<itemizedlist>
> > +<option>subq=6:4x4mv:8x8dct:me=3:frameref=5:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b</option>
> > +6fps, 0%, 0dB.
> > +</para></listitem>
> > +<option>subq=5:4x4mv:8x8dct:frameref=2:bframes=3:b_pyramid:weight_b:psnr</option>
>
> Just a suggestion: I'd consider independently benchmarking the speed
> results of 8x8dct before suggesting it in 2 out of 3 examples. One of
> the reasons I never bothered doing so was because it almost always gained
> less than 0.05dB (exception: intra-only encodes, where 8x8 gains a whole
> heck of a lot). Ateme's encoder reportedly gets more benefit from 8x8,
> so my personal plan was to not bother highlighting the option until
> maybe x264 showed more benefit from it as well.

Ok. I take note of your suggestion. I can't currently benchmark
8x8dct, but I'll do it ASAP.

Note: I have the same "layout" for the encoding settings examples of
xvid and lavc, so please tell me what you think of it in addition of
the usual nits. I'm personally not satisfied with the way I put them.

Regards,

Live fast, die old, and make very sure everyone knows you were there.
 -- Alan Cox