[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/xml/en encoding-guide.xml,1.8,1.9

Guillaume POIRIER poirierg at gmail.com
Mon Aug 15 21:44:56 CEST 2005

Hi,

On 8/15/05, The Wanderer <inverseparadox at comcast.net> wrote:
> (Gack. I thought I'd mailed this out hours ago! Here it is anyway...)
>
> Guillaume POIRIER wrote:
[..]

> >> I don't know if I've mentioned it before - I think I must have,
> >> since I know I've seen this line - but I don't like the phrasing
> >> "per bitrate". The simplest fix would be to say "per unit bitrate"
> >> instead, but that's a more formal type of language not necessarily
> >> well suited to something whose tone is not explicitly technical;
> >> I'd prefer something else if such a thing can be found.
> >
> > If I were to use "unit" here, I'd write smth such as: "You will get
> > worse quality per bitrate unit", which sounds better to me. :)
>
> It doesn't to me, however; I don't think I've ever come across that
> phrasing before, even in "bad" English much less in "good" English. The
> phrasing "foo per unit bar" is very standard IME, it's just more formal
> than may be warranted.

I personally prefer that one rather than the one you suggest later. I
does feel odd to me (but hey, that's why I'm glad that you're part of
the doc team) as it's shorter.

> A slightly less objectionable alternate phrasing, from my end, would be
> "per unit of bitrate", but that also has problems although I don't
> currently know how to fix them any more than I know how to fix the main
> problems of the previously suggested fix.
>
> I'll hold off on committing the rest until this is addressed, or until
> this evening if I don't get any replies by then.

Commit whenever you want now, along with the fixes that might have to
be done to my afternoon commit. :)

Thanks,

Live fast, die old, and make very sure everyone knows you were there.
 -- Alan Cox