[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: homepage/src news-archive.src.en,1.32,1.33

Jan Knutar jknutar at nic.fi
Sat Sep 25 22:29:02 CEST 2004

On Saturday 25 September 2004 21:46, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> > but modifying other peoples news entries against their will (i
> > assume gabu didnt agree)
>
> I did not ask Gabu for permission, no.  (Do I have to?  He left the
> project..)

This entire conflict is all about violating unwritten rules. Unfortunately,
unwritten rules are highly specific to different cultures...

Atleast, in my set of morals and ethics, modifying what is implicitly the
verbatim words of another individual, is a big No.

> So let's strike a compromise here: I'll reinstate Gabu's original
> words in the news entry and add a NOTE or similar to the effect of
> "The following (inflammatory) statements do not represent the opinion of
> the MPlayer project as a whole." or "The following (inflammatory)
> statements just represent the opinion of the news entry author.".

Back to the regular attempts at constructive criticism.... :)

Would it be possible, to make the comment more general? Right now,
there are entries by both individuals, and entities such as "release team",
making a specific case out of particulary emotion-laden entries, and adding
disclaimer to these, seems a bit, well, 'defensive', lacking a better word
right now, and probably also offensive, towards the person who made the
entry.