[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: homepage/src news-archive.src.en,1.32,1.33

Michael Niedermayer michaelni at gmx.at
Sat Sep 25 22:29:09 CEST 2004

Hi

On Saturday 25 September 2004 20:46, Diego Biurrun wrote:
[...]
> I'm not opposed to leaving news entries untouched when they express
> somebody's personal opinion and/or to preserve history.  But I am very
> much opposed to personal opinions (and much less very inflammatory
> ones) being voiced *in the name of the project* and thus in the name
> of people who disagree with it.  Associating people with an opinion
> they do not share is unacceptable IMO.  There has to be a balance
> between being allowed to modify somebody else's entries and what you
> are allowed to write when it comes across as more than a personal
> opinion.
>
> So let's strike a compromise here: I'll reinstate Gabu's original
> words in the news entry and add a NOTE or similar to the effect of
> "The following (inflammatory) statements do not represent the opinion of
> the MPlayer project as a whole." or "The following (inflammatory)
> statements just represent the opinion of the news entry author.".
>
> OK?

IMHO, news entries should never be changed against the authors will, except by
complete removal with a visible note that the entry was removed, after some
agreement (vote or project leader)
so iam against adding some note which would look like it was written by gabu

it would be different if the entry was 'by the MPlayer team' or whatever, but
its "signed" with Gabucino so its IMHO like a letter written and signed by
Gabucino, and u wouldnt want the postman to edit your letters would u?

[...]
--
Michael

I do not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your
right to say it. -- Voltaire