[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.706,1.707

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 17:10:59 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Guillaume POIRIER writes:
>
>> Le mar 07/09/2004 à 23:07, Diego Biurrun a écrit :

>>> I'd prefer "with the xvid4conf matrix editor".
>>
>> I know what you mean, but I don't think that it would be correct.
>> xvid4conf allow transcode users to set all XviD options with a nice
>> GUI, and it just happens that it has a matrix editor. That's why I
>> wrote: the matrix editor of xvid4conf. ;-)
>
> Then I'd say "with the matrix editor of xvid4conf".  The rule being
> that only persons get the genitive "'s" while "X of Y" is used for
> inanimate things.

Oh? That's a new one on me. I've certainly considered things like, for
instance, "Mozilla's rendering engine", or "MPlayer's broad support for
various formats", to be both standard and quite acceptable, but
certainly neither of those is any more animate than is xvid4conf.

For what it's worth, I think that "with the xvid4conf matrix editor" and
"with the matrix editor of xvid4conf" are both clunkier and less
generally pleasing than is "with xvid4conf's matrix editor". That aspect
is just my opinion, however.

side of it.