[MPlayer-DOCS] complete documentation

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Sep 6 15:55:15 CEST 2004

Hello team!

I've been planning to write this for quite some time..

We should finish the documentation.  Of course it is never finished,
but we are getting very close to having every option documented.  I'd
like to speed up this gradual process and get this over with finally.
For this I need your help, I am chronically overloaded and should
devote more time to my final exams.  Therefore I was hoping to get
some of you interested in helping me out.

What needs to be done?

* audio output drivers
  FIXME: Document suboptions for sdl, arts, esd, jack, nas, macosx, sgi, sun,
  dxr2, mpegpes, null, pcm, plugin.

* video output drivers
  FIXME: Document suboptions for x11, xover, dga, sdl, vidix, xvidix, fbdev,
  fbdev2, vesa, null, aa, bl, ggi, mga, xmga, syncfb, 3dfx, tdfx_vid,
  tdfxfb, dxr2, dxr3, mpegpes, zr, zr2, yuv4mpeg, gif89a, jpeg, pgm, png, tga.

* XviD encoding options
  There's still a few undocumented options, some are marked FIXME.

* lavc encoding options
  I'm not sure if all options are in the man page and most are (too)
  tersely documented.  This needs some loving ;-)

* x264 encoding options
  I think this is complete.  Somebody please check.

* lame encoding options
  Some options were added recently without being added to the
  documentation.  The help output documents some things that would
  better fit in the man page.

* divx4 encoding options
  This is not complete at all.  It's obsolete, but as long as it is
  still included, it should be documented.

* -playlist
  This needs a more verbose and complete description.  Maybe also
  mention how to write playlist files.

* playtree
  There are clever ways to pass options to only one or several files
  specified on the command line.  It's not properly described
  anywhere, though.

* tdfxfb vs 3dfx vs tdfx_vid output drivers
  Somebody needs to blackmail Albeu into documenting this finally.  I
  don't seem to be able to do it :-(

Please grab some part of this task list and send a patch or commit.
If there is something you know, document it.  If you don't know it,
talk to the authors and find it out or read the sources.

I'm a big fan of incremental improvement.  Just listing all option
names and marking them as "FIXME: Document this." is a big improvement
over the current situation.  This way others will see the gaps and may
help filling them.

Most tasks I described above can be broken down into small pieces.
Every little bit helps.  Even if you only find out that one output
driver has no suboptions and can be removed from the FIXME list this
is already valuable.

A 1.0 release should live up to minimum quality standards.  Complete
documentation surely is one of them, so let's try to achieve this.
Thanks