[MPlayer-DOCS] Proposal: split manpages

Carl Fûrstenberg azatoth at gmail.com
Sun Oct 24 00:50:23 CEST 2004

> And a line of 510 chars (it outputs every paragraph as a single line)
> isn't making me happier.
>
> By some unknown reason the first block of key descriptions (arrows,
> pgup/down etc.) is indented more then the second one (1-4,
> brightness/contrast).
>
> And I find the MM-DD-YY date format illogical and ugly, but that's
> just my personal preference and I see it written verbatim in .xml, so
> that's not an issue.
>
> Anyway, the xml is not really much more readable, I see it just as
> translating obscure groff commands to maybe a little less obscure, but
> much longer, xml tags. I'm not a big fan of groff, I've thrown a lot of
> curses at it when translating manpage to Polish, but I don't see why xml is
> so much better. It's just adding an extra layer of complexity and extra
> set of dependencies (xsltpros is not available everywhere) and most of
> what xsltproc does is a bit more complicated sed script.
>

> Torinthiel

ok, you have right it that, It's an ugly script, I just show'd how it
could be done. Why it's so much newlines is because I do not know how
to write *roff. But I was thinking it must be a better way to do it ?
I can't hardly belive that every project is über in writing their own
manpages. there must be a way. I also checked in pod, worked for a
part, but did cut of efter a bit (don't know why). So for now I'll
just translate the manpage as it is. I will problably write totaly
wrong, but what the heck, I can't *roff... :)