[MPlayer-DOCS] Proposal: split manpages

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Sun Oct 24 00:28:23 CEST 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 11:42:37PM +0200, Carl F?rstenberg wrote:
> like for example, processing with "xsltproc -o mplayer.1 --stringparam
> part mplayer man.xsl man.xml" and "xsltproc -o mencoder.1
> --stringparam part mencoder man.xsl man.xml"

kraken:~/tmp/test$ xsltproc -o mplayer.1 --stringparam part mplayer man.xsl man.xml
man.xsl:10: error: Input is not proper UTF-8, indicate encoding !
        <xsl:text>.\" Parser made by Carl Fürstenberg

Adding encoding to <?xml?> in both files did help.
But looking at generated file: ouch
it outputs in utf-8, not saying so:
.\" Parser made by Carl FĂźrstenberg

it outputs lots of linebreaks where I see no sense for one:
'in +\n[.k]u
\
[\ \
option\
\ ]\
\
[\ \
\
(these fit '\$' not '\ $' regexps)

Whoa, this is even worse:
.I \h'-1'title
\h'-1'\
\
\
\
|\
\
\
\
[

And a line of 510 chars (it outputs every paragraph as a single line)
isn't making me happier.

By some unknown reason the first block of key descriptions (arrows,
pgup/down etc.) is indented more then the second one (1-4,
brightness/contrast).

And I find the MM-DD-YY date format illogical and ugly, but that's
just my personal preference and I see it written verbatim in .xml, so
that's not an issue.

Anyway, the xml is not really much more readable, I see it just as
translating obscure groff commands to maybe a little less obscure, but
much longer, xml tags. I'm not a big fan of groff, I've thrown a lot of
curses at it when translating manpage to Polish, but I don't see why xml is
so much better. It's just adding an extra layer of complexity and extra
set of dependencies (xsltpros is not available everywhere) and most of
what xsltproc does is a bit more complicated sed script.
Torinthiel

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl