[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.773,1.774

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Fri Oct 15 15:40:03 CEST 2004

The Wanderer writes:
> Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:
>
> > -Enable or disable aspect scaling and panscan support (default: enabled).
> > +Enable or disable aspect scaling and pan and scan support (default: enabled).
>
> "pan-and-scan"
>
> I've mainly left off objecting to hyphenation issues, because most of
> them are arguably matters of personal preference, but in this case I
> think it's important.

Hmm, OK, accepted.

> >  .B cbr\ \ \ \
> >  constant bitrate.
> > -Forces also CBR mode encoding on subsequent ABR presets modes
> > +Also forces CBR mode encoding on subsequent ABR presets modes.
>
> Sure the plural ("presets") is correct? This occurs in at least one
> place below as well.

Not sure at all but I wanted to flush the grammar/wording fix from my
queue anyway.  Presets is used in the plural in that section though
and it refers to several settings that get initialized with certain
values, so I tend to think it is correct.

> >  .B br=<0\-1024>
> > -specify bitrate in kBit (CBR and ABR only)
> > +bitrate in kBit (CBR and ABR only)
>
> kBit is a unit of size, not of rate. I think it means kBit/second. Also,
> that terminology is inconsistent with the form used below, "kbps"; it
> might be desirable to bring them into agreement.

Good catch, fixed (hopefully everywhere).

> >  .B fast\ \ \
> > -switch on faster encoding on subsequent VBR presets modes, slightly lower
> > -quality and higher bitrates.
> > +Switch on faster encoding on subsequent VBR presets modes, results in
> > +slightly lower quality and higher bitrates.
>
> Feels like a run-on sentence. I'd suggest breaking it after "modes" and
> using "This results".

Done.  What's a run-on sentence?

> >  .SS nuv (\-nuvopts)
> >  .
> > -Nuppel video is based on rtjpeg and lzo.
> > -By default frames are first encoded with rtjpeg and then compressed with lzo.
> > +Nuppel video is based on RTJPEG and LZO.
> > +By default frames are first encoded with RTJPEG and then compressed with LZO.
> >  But both passes can be enabled or not.
> > -So you can in fact output raw i420, lzo compressed i420, rtjpeg, or the
> > -default lzo compressed rtjpeg.
> > +So you can in fact output raw i420, LZO compressed i420, RTJPEG, or the
> > +default LZO compressed RTJPEG.
>
> The sentences which begin with "but" and "so" seem almost fragmentary -
> I think it's because those words are supposed to have antecedents, but
> there is nothing preceding them in their sentences.
>
> "and then compressed with LZO, but it is possible to disable either or
> both of the two passes.
> As a result, you can in fact"
>
> Better?

Yes, applied.

> >  .B raw \ \ \
> > -Disable rtjpeg encoding.
> > +Disable rtjpeg encoding (default).
>
> Above, you capitalized "RTJPEG". Here, you haven't. Intentional?

No, fixed.

> >  .B idrint=<value>
> > -Each <value> I-Frames are IDR-Frames (default: 2).
> > +One in each <value> I-Frames are IDR-Frames (default: 2).
>
> While accurate, I think this is imprecise; I would have phrased it as
> something closer to "Each <value>th I frame is an IDR frame", although
> the "th" suffix isn't ideal because it's not valid for all values.
>
> As it stands, it does not seem to say which one of the <value> frames
> will be an IDR frame; the alternate phrasing, and I think the intent of
> the original phrasing, says that it will be the final frame.

This one is a tough call.  Loren's suggestion (the change is from him
IIRC) is better than the original but you have a point.  I have
settled for

Make each <value> I-Frame an IDR-Frame (default: 2).

Does that satisfy you?