[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: main/DOCS/man/en mplayer.1,1.773,1.774

The Wanderer inverseparadox at comcast.net
Thu Oct 14 17:09:23 CEST 2004

Diego Biurrun CVS wrote:

> -Enable or disable aspect scaling and panscan support (default: enabled).
> +Enable or disable aspect scaling and pan and scan support (default: enabled).

"pan-and-scan"

I've mainly left off objecting to hyphenation issues, because most of
them are arguably matters of personal preference, but in this case I
think it's important.

>  .B cbr\ \ \ \
>  constant bitrate.
> -Forces also CBR mode encoding on subsequent ABR presets modes
> +Also forces CBR mode encoding on subsequent ABR presets modes.

Sure the plural ("presets") is correct? This occurs in at least one
place below as well.

>  .B br=<0\-1024>
> -specify bitrate in kBit (CBR and ABR only)
> +bitrate in kBit (CBR and ABR only)

kBit is a unit of size, not of rate. I think it means kBit/second. Also,
that terminology is inconsistent with the form used below, "kbps"; it
might be desirable to bring them into agreement.

>  .B fast\ \ \
> -switch on faster encoding on subsequent VBR presets modes, slightly lower
> -quality and higher bitrates.
> +Switch on faster encoding on subsequent VBR presets modes, results in
> +slightly lower quality and higher bitrates.

Feels like a run-on sentence. I'd suggest breaking it after "modes" and
using "This results".

>  .SS nuv (\-nuvopts)
>  .
> -Nuppel video is based on rtjpeg and lzo.
> -By default frames are first encoded with rtjpeg and then compressed with lzo.
> +Nuppel video is based on RTJPEG and LZO.
> +By default frames are first encoded with RTJPEG and then compressed with LZO.
>  But both passes can be enabled or not.
> -So you can in fact output raw i420, lzo compressed i420, rtjpeg, or the
> -default lzo compressed rtjpeg.
> +So you can in fact output raw i420, LZO compressed i420, RTJPEG, or the
> +default LZO compressed RTJPEG.

The sentences which begin with "but" and "so" seem almost fragmentary -
I think it's because those words are supposed to have antecedents, but
there is nothing preceding them in their sentences.

"and then compressed with LZO, but it is possible to disable either or
both of the two passes.
As a result, you can in fact"

Better?

>  .B raw \ \ \
> -Disable rtjpeg encoding.
> +Disable rtjpeg encoding (default).

Above, you capitalized "RTJPEG". Here, you haven't. Intentional?

>  .B idrint=<value>
> -Each <value> I-Frames are IDR-Frames (default: 2).
> +One in each <value> I-Frames are IDR-Frames (default: 2).

While accurate, I think this is imprecise; I would have phrased it as
something closer to "Each <value>th I frame is an IDR frame", although
the "th" suffix isn't ideal because it's not valid for all values.

As it stands, it does not seem to say which one of the <value> frames
will be an IDR frame; the alternate phrasing, and I think the intent of
the original phrasing, says that it will be the final frame.

side of it.