[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage and HTML docs - FFmpeg MPEG-4 vs. DivX

Jakub Misak jmisak at atlas.cz
Tue Nov 23 18:46:41 CET 2004

On Tuesday 23 of November 2004 12:00, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> I totally agree that FFmpeg deserves all the credit and praise it can
> get, definitely much more than it currently receives.

So explain what FFmpeg and libavcodec is in the docs. Promote it. Explain
it's a crucial part of MPlayer, that libavcodec is what they're actually
using for playing what they call "DivX movies" (they don't know it, they
dowload & install DivX and think it's useful for something). I think
newcomers have no idea what libavcodec is, and if you don't explain it
clearly, well... No wonder it's DivX that gets all the attention and the
obscure FFmpeg officially doesn't exist.

> What I fear is that people might look for a possibility to encode
> "DivX" and then turn away from FFmpeg because they fail to see such a
> thing.

That's why there should be an explanation in the docs. Mentioning DivX
(as in "compatible for example with DivX and many other MPEG-4 codecs")
is OK, it's just a matter of using the right words. Explain the
difference between MPEG-4 and DivX, and more generally between standard
and implementation. Some nice examples could be made, something they may
be more familiar with. Like when users encode MP3s with the LAME codec,
they don't encode to "LAME format", and they don't have to decode it
with the LAME decoder, they can decode it with any standard MP3 decoder
if it's really standard MP3. Or when they create .txt files with Notepad
(OK, or vim...), they don't write "to Notepad format" and they don't
have to view the file in Notepad. And the same with MPEG-4 - when they
use libavcodec MPEG-4 for encoding, they shouldn't say they encode "to
DivX" just because DivX is a more famous product than libavcodec. Many
users still say that. And DivX is still more famous.

Now, I don't know if DivX (made by DivXNetworks) will be (more or less)
MPEG-4 forever, they may introduce something proprietary and wider in
scope (not just the video codec) in the future. But that's a different
discussion.

> It's not such a big deal, just read DOCS/tech/patches.txt, we'll
> assist you with any further problems you might have.

I'll read it and perhaps could try to make a patch after all... But no
guarantee, as I have no experience with this, I'm afraid I might screw
up something.

Jakub