[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage and HTML docs - FFmpeg MPEG-4 vs. DivX

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Tue Nov 23 12:00:30 CET 2004

Jakub Misak writes:
> On Wednesday 17 of November 2004 10:30, Diego Biurrun wrote:
> > Since no patch seems to be forthcoming I fixed this myself.  Have a
> > look at the documentation again, if you find any occurrences where
> > this should still be changed, please say so.
>
> Thank you very much indeed, I really appreciate it. I also apologize for
> not doing it myself like Dominik Mierzejewski suggested - I'm a total
> outsider here, not part of the team and don't even know how to do it
> properly.

It's not such a big deal, just read DOCS/tech/patches.txt, we'll
assist you with any further problems you might have.

> The main problem was the controversial line in the manpage, where
> libavcodec MPEG-4 (-lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4) was said to be "DivX 4/5".
> Now this was changed to "MPEG4 (DivX 4/5)".
>
> I'm sorry to still bother you with this, but unfortunately this doesn't
> solve anything. The problem with that line in the manpage was that it
> made people think that FFmpeg was DivX. This problem is still there -
> people will really still think libavcodec is DivX, no matter how
> well-meant that line is. Really, I have years of painful experience
> with this. I know that the intention behind terms like "MPEG-4 (DivX)"
> instead of "MPEG-4" is to make it more accessibe to masses, but alas,
> it only causes massive confusion, global ignorance and big damage.

What I fear is that people might look for a possibility to encode
"DivX" and then turn away from FFmpeg because they fail to see such a
thing.

> The only solution is to remove the "DivX" from this line (at least from
> this line in the manpage, that's all I ask for) completely. "DivX" is a
> trademark of DivXNetworks. It's a name of their commercial
> product/technology. It is not a generic term that can be applied to
> anything else than DivXNetworks' product. They also say that very
> clearly on their website where they explicitly mention this and that
> terms like "MPEG-4 (DivX)" are unacceptable.

Could you provide an URL with that statement?

> But of course - when it's
> really DivX (the codec made by DivXNetworks), it is perfectly OK to
> call it DivX, that's where it belongs. So I don't ask for wiping out
> all "DivX" occurences from the MPlayer docs, because MPlayer supports
> DivX, too. But you shouldn't use "DivX" anywhere else, where it's not
> DivX. It's also in the interest of the open-source community to prefer
> open-source product - FFmpeg/libavcodec is so closely related to
> MPlayer, and yet you harm it so much by making people think it's a
> different, commercial product. I think you should be more
> self-confident, promote "your" fine codec and not hide it behind false
> names. FFmpeg deserves it. ;-)

I totally agree that FFmpeg deserves all the credit and praise it can
get, definitely much more than it currently receives.