[MPlayer-DOCS] manpage and HTML docs - FFmpeg MPEG-4 vs. DivX

Jakub Misak jmisak at atlas.cz
Tue Nov 9 15:23:06 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm new to this list, so excuse me if I don't send this to the right
place.

The manpage still says in the encoding section that the "mpeg4" vcodec
in -lavcopts is "DivX 4/5". The HTML docs also say that FFmpeg MPEG-4
is DivX 4 or DivX 5.

Please, remove this nonsense. It is extremely harmful, damaging,
confusing, irresponsible and stupid. It still confuses way too many
people and hurts the open-source community, even the FFmpeg project
itself.

For example, people write popular articles about video encoding in
Linux that usually go like this:

"For the vcodec in -lavcopts, use mpeg4, which is DivX4 or DivX5,
depending on which DivX version you have installed. Download DivX at
www.divx.com."

Or like this:

"In our example, we'll use vcodec=mpeg4, which is either DivX4 or
DivX5 (don't know what this depends on). Download DivX from
www.divx.com."

This then influences tons of readers, who do stupid things. Like
people who make multimedia packages for Linux distributions - they
often have useless DivX dependencies even if the program doesn't and
cannot use DivX at all. Or generally most Linux users who, sadly, are
still victims of the incredibly powerful DivX myth, the strongest
computer-related myth ever.

It's also one of the reasons why FFmpeg/libavcodec is totally unknown
and ignored by almost everyone - most people either don't know it
exists or think it's DivX, as people call it "DivX" all the time.
People encode "to DivX" with livbavcodec, people use "the DivX codec
from libavcodec" (for which they download DivX from www.divx.com). Or
they simply use DivX, because they don't know it's useless in Linux
and that there's some superior open-source alternative.

So, please, stop this DivX nonsense, stop calling MPEG-4 "DivX" for
good. Make things clear, use the proper terms, even educate the
users. Saying "DivX" instead of MPEG-4 doesn't make things more
understandable and accessible - on the contrary, it causes massive
confusion and supports the DivX myth. It's the same as calling Linux
"Microsoft Windows", because it's an OS, too.

DivX is a commercial closed-source product (MPEG-4 codec) made by
DivXNetworks, it's even their trademark, there's no other DivX.