[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: homepage/src projects.src.hu,1.62,1.63

Guillaume POIRIER guillaume.poirier at etudiant.univ-rennes1.fr
Mon Nov 8 09:48:36 CET 2004

Hi,
Diego Biurrun wrote:
> Guillaume POIRIER writes:

>>+You can also pass some variables to the Makefile. For example, if you want
>>+to compile with gcc 3.4 even if it's not the default compiler:
>>+<screen>CC=gcc-3.4 DEB_BUILD_OPTIONS="--enable-gui" fakeroot debian/rules clean</screen>
>

> This should be "binary", not "clean".

Woops! Good catch!
But look at:
http://www1.mplayerhq.hu/cgi-bin/cvsweb.cgi/main/README.diff?r1=1.20&r2=1.21
... I guess I'll have to fix the README too! ;-)

> I've been thinking about this example and I think it's redundant.
> Firstly passing (environment) variables like this is a standard Unix
> skill, secondly this is wrong, the --cc option to configure should be
> used instead.  So I would say just remove it.

I'm not so sure that it's redundant, as newcommers may like to learn
that it's possible to pass some "arguments" to makefiles, when there's
not switch available on the ./configure. Heck, I learned to pass
arguments to makefiles just this summer (even though I've been using
Linux for 5 years now), while working on a kernel module!
So I just wanted to share the experience! ;-)

Regards,