[MPlayer-DOCS] CVS: homepage/images arpi-s.jpg, 1.1, NONE arpi.jpg, 1.1, NONE hq-small.gif, 1.1, NONE hq.gif, 1.1, NONE lgb-640k.jpg, 1.1, NONE poncso.jpg, 1.1, NONE team.jpg, 1.1, NONE torgyi.jpg, 1.1, NONE

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Wed Nov 3 07:10:13 CET 2004

Most of the answers to your mail are in my (longish) reply to
Michael.  Anyway, all the details are there, please take this into
account before jumping to conclusions from my quick replies below at
6:30am.

Arpi writes:

> > Arpi writes:
> > >
> > What's your point?  Do you feel I (or we, with my friends from the
> > Neu-Team) infringed your copyrights?  How?
>
> By deleting files of our work, without even asking us.
> Afaik the files at mplayer homepage were never released under GPL
> or any license. So their copyright is hold by their author...

You have this backwards.  If I don't have license, copyright or
permission I have to remove the content, not keep it.

> > > mphq was always a little bit more than an mplayer tarball distribution
> > > site. it was a playground of a small community, including not
> > > strictly mplayer-related things, like personal homepages, fun,
> > > warez :) and so on...
> >
> > It still is, I didn't touch any personal homepages, nor would I.  I
> > just maintain the project homepage.
>
> Really??? ...
> What about the funpage and others, then?
> They were personal pages actually, just put to /var/www because it
> belongs to more than one user, so putting it under ~gabucino or ~arpi
> has no much sence...

Maybe mixing this wasn't a good idea to begin with..

You can always use ~arpucino or mplayersux.hu ;-)

> > Nobody prevents you from putting the fun page back up somewhere.  I
> > did not destroy the data, I just removed it from the project homepage.
>
> it's still available in google cache, sure...

It's still in CVS and can be retrieved from there anytime.  I do not
intend to use 'cvs admin -o' to obliterate it.

> you still dont understand. i don't miss the funpage (so much, although
> it was really funny), my problem is that you change and remove pages
> don't belong to you. I don't go to your house and remove walls, just
> because you allowed me to re-paint the front door.

Either that or private stuff should be moved away from the homepage in
the first place so the maintainer has free rein and does not have to
worry about getting permission for every step he takes.

> i see no sence of frozing news or other outdated content.

You could consider it a feature if you want to.  Alternatively there
could be a skinnable version of the site (design3-6) with the old
content and only design7 without it.

> > Reimar proposed having a place where old stuff gets put which you can
> > browse if you want to look at old versions of the site.
> >
> > Arpi, would such a solution satisfy you?
>
> it doesnt matter what statisfy me. i doesnt matter.
> i don't even ask you to put back the pages you removed (maybe i should).
> I just asked a very simple question: why do you remove pages, not
> belonging to your business? Without permission of authors...
> If you're unable to answer, it's a problem, not a feature.

See the mail to Michael for all the details.