[MPlayer-DOCS] sdl subdriver name for arts

Diego Biurrun diego at biurrun.de
Mon Aug 30 02:07:18 CEST 2004

Joost Baas writes:
> in http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/devices.html#sdl it says:
>
> -ao sdl:name
>     specifies SDL audio driver to use (i.e. dsp, esd, arts)
>
> however, the proper subdriver for aRTS output is called artsc, not
> arts.

Fixed.

> Maybe it will be a better solution if the guys at libsdl would just
> call it arts, like everybody does, but untill they do I think it's a good
> idea to have correct documentation.

Maybe you should just tell them..

Why the heck is it called artsc anyway?

> Because the manpage (or mplayer -ao help) is the first place people will look
> for the solution to this problem I suggest something like this:
>
> -ao <driver1[:device],driver2,...[,]>
>  Specify  a  priority list of audio output drivers (optionally with device) to
>  be used.  With SDL 'device' is valid, too, it means subdriver then.
>  NOTE: To get a full list of available drivers, see -ao help.
>  If the list has a trailing ',' it will fallback to drivers not listed.
>
>  EXAMPLE:
>           -ao oss:/dev/dsp2,oss:/dev/dsp1,
>                try to use OSS with the specified sound devices and fallback to
>                others if it fails
>           -ao sdl:esd
>                specify the SDL subdriver (e.g. artsc, esd, alsa)

The proper solution would be to document the suboptions of the sdl
audio output driver instead.

So while we're at it, driver authors speak up, what are the suboptions
of the sdl audio output driver and the other ones that are listed as

FIXME: Document suboptions for sdl, arts, esd, jack, nas, macosx, sgi, sun,
dxr2, mpegpes, null, pcm, plugin.

in the man page?

> This took me about an hour to find out, and during my search I found
> a load of other people with the same problem. They almost never had
> the sollution though. Usually they had to do with "artsdsp mplayer
> -ao sdl".

Why not simply use -ao arts?