[MPlayer-DOCS] sdl subdriver name for arts

Joost Baas joost.baas at phil.uu.nl
Sun Aug 29 18:33:27 CEST 2004

in http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/devices.html#sdl it says:

-ao sdl:name
    specifies SDL audio driver to use (i.e. dsp, esd, arts)

however, the proper subdriver for aRTS output is called artsc, not
arts. Maybe it will be a better solution if the guys at libsdl would just
call it arts, like everybody does, but untill they do I think it's a good
idea to have correct documentation.

Because the manpage (or mplayer -ao help) is the first place people will look
for the solution to this problem I suggest something like this:

-ao <driver1[:device],driver2,...[,]>
 Specify  a  priority list of audio output drivers (optionally with device) to
 be used.  With SDL 'device' is valid, too, it means subdriver then.
 NOTE: To get a full list of available drivers, see -ao help.
 If the list has a trailing ',' it will fallback to drivers not listed.

 EXAMPLE:
          -ao oss:/dev/dsp2,oss:/dev/dsp1,
               try to use OSS with the specified sound devices and fallback to
               others if it fails
          -ao sdl:esd
               specify the SDL subdriver (e.g. artsc, esd, alsa)

This took me about an hour to find out, and during my search I found a load of
other people with the same problem. They almost never had the sollution
though. Usually they had to do with "artsdsp mplayer -ao sdl".