[MPlayer-DOCS] Polish manpage

Torinthiel torinthiel at megapolis.pl
Wed Aug 25 10:55:51 CEST 2004

On Wed, Aug 25, 2004 at 01:45:48AM +0200, Diego Biurrun wrote:

> Torinthiel writes:
> > Would it be possible to sed the Polish manpage resulting from
> > groff -T html via the attached sed script?
> > It changes the &entities; groff creates from Polish diacritical letters
> > to proper iso-8859-2 codes, and as well adds encoding information.
>
> It would be _possible_, sure, but it's such an ugly hack..  There must
> be a better solution that involves some groff voodoo.  Please try to
> find out what is going on here and tackle the problem at the source,
> instead of papering over it with bandaid sed scripts.

AFAIK (I don't know groff very well) it simply doesn't know how to
encode Polish diacritical characters. So, in text, it doesn't print them
at all (and outputs quite some "can't find character with input code"
warnings). In HTML hovever, it thinks these are some other characters
and replaces them with &entities;, but the wrong ones.
Only thing I can think of with my knowledge of groff that doesn't
include some heavy groff patching is to add some more -Tdevices.
I'll try to do this later today.

> > Another thing is, TXT format is totally screwed out, but it's groff's
> > fault and I have no idea how to fix it. So is the Chinese html manpage,
> > and .txt probably as well, but I have even less idea on how to fix it.
>
> Try the following command line:
>
> groff -m man -Tutf8 -rLL=78n mplayer.1 | col -bx > mplayer.1.txt

The same as ascii. It's not only the problem it can't find output
encoding. Input as well. But maybe, with about 18 more lines of code and
some addition (not changes) in devutf8/* files I could make it recognize
it correctly, although the server would have to report encoding as utf-8
(Not many people in Poland have utf-8 as default charset).

> and tell me the results.  Also try -Tascii8 and see if it goes better.

No such device.

--
 Waclaw "Torinthiel" Schiller       GG#: 542916, 3073512
   torinthiel(at)megapolis(dot)pl