[MPlayer-dev-eng] Localized messages and locale in GUI

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Tue Feb 23 23:28:59 EET 2021

> On 23 Feb 2021, at 15:38, Ingo Brückl <ib at wupperonline.de> wrote:
>
> I know the issue and I know that MPlayer and therefore the GUI must run in
> the C locale.
>
> However, since it would be desirable for the GUI (not to say absolutely
> taken for granted for a contemporary program) to provide localized
> messages instead of being translated in one specific language, I wonder
> whether a setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, "") would be uncritical for MPlayer.

Probably, though who knows what kind of weird things setlocale does.
I’m not sure it’s a showstopper though, from what I remember the gettext
API can be used “manually” specifying the locale instead of via setlocale,
even if it’s a bit more painful.
However without setting at least LC_CTYPE that might end up in broken
encoding for users that previously happily used the English messages.
And setting LC_CTYPE definitely would cause issues…
If it’s GUI only that might not be an issue though.
And as long as it’s optional it might also be fine for all messages.