[MPlayer-dev-eng] Localized messages and locale in GUI

Ingo Brückl ib at wupperonline.de
Tue Feb 23 16:38:55 EET 2021

I know the issue and I know that MPlayer and therefore the GUI must run in
the C locale.

However, since it would be desirable for the GUI (not to say absolutely
taken for granted for a contemporary program) to provide localized
messages instead of being translated in one specific language, I wonder
whether a setlocale(LC_MESSAGES, "") would be uncritical for MPlayer.

If this is the case, *.po files could be generated from the help strings
during compilation of the GUI, and the *.mo files compiled from them could
then be installed.

I' ve successfully proved the concept, but am unsure about MPlayer's locale
issues.

Ingo