[MPlayer-dev-eng] offer to include gopher protocol support

Reimar Döffinger Reimar.Doeffinger at gmx.de
Fri Jan 17 18:23:25 EET 2020

On Tue, Jan 14, 2020 at 12:29:52AM +0100, Vincenzo Nicosia wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 11:02:03PM +0100, Alexander Strasser wrote:
> [cut]
>

> > Did you test it on some content? I didn't try playing media over gopher
> > yet :)
> >

> Yes, it works, but having to put the ffmpeg:// scheme before the actual
> gopher:// URL is quite awful (and a bit annoying).

Oooh, this is the background.
My fault for working backwards.
Please, any ffmpeg protocol support that you successfully tested just
add it to the supported protocol list in stream_ffmpeg.c.
That way you don't have to prepend the ffmpeg:// anymore.
It is annoying on purpose because the idea is that "ffmpeg://" means
"yes, use the ffmpeg protocol implementation even though I know it's
not tested or might in fact even be known broken for MPlayer".
Anyone testing more of the protocols FFmpeg supports and finding that
they work fine, please do the same.
At some point we'll hit the size limit of that array I guess, then we
can consider increasing MAX_STREAM_PROTOCOLS or if that gets extreme
just split it in multiple or some other way.
Lastly, we could in theory even e.g. in configure check which protocols
the FFmpeg copy supports, and auto-generate a dummy stream that just
prints "hey, this protocol you specified? I see FFmpeg supports it,
but we don't know if it will work in MPlayer. If you feel adventurous
and want to try it out prefix ffmpeg:// and report any success to us".