[MPlayer-dev-eng] offer to include gopher protocol support

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Tue Jan 14 00:02:03 EET 2020

Hi KatolaZ!

On 2020-01-13 13:57 +0100, KatolaZ wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 01:44:55PM +0100, Nicolas George wrote:
>
> [cut]
>
> > Thanks for the offer. But normally, MPlayer already supports the Gopher
> > protocol. At least, this command:
> >
> > mplayer ffmpeg://gopher://127.0.0.1/
> >
> > tries to connect on port 70. You can still contribute by testing it,
> > making it easier, etc.
>
> thanks a lot for the kind and prompt reply. I simply didn't know it
> already worked through ffmpeg (it works in a similar way in mpv, just
> more transparently).
>
> That's indeed awesome, and does not require new code, which is always
> good :)

Did you test it on some content? I didn't try playing media over gopher
yet :)

As mentioned by Nicolas, one could possibly improve the UI here. Like
for example trying FFmpeg's protocols if MPlayer doesn't support the
protocol.

I don't have time to work on this. So if you would like to look into
that, it could be a bigger improvment to mplayer usability in general.

  Alexander