[MPlayer-dev-eng] [RFC] Move away from SVN

Alexander Strasser eclipse7 at gmx.net
Tue Dec 24 13:09:18 EET 2019

Hi all!

Every now and than I think we should move away from Subversion.

While from the versioning perspective SVN gives us all we need on the
server side, it's kind of hassle to work with.

I exclusively use Git locally nowadays. So switching into Subversion
only to do the final MPlayer commits is a bit annoying; even more so
if new files were added or existing files deleted.

Additionally for the releasing procedure knowledge of the Subversion
branching is needed.

For potential new contributors the SVN might also not be very
attractive, and we don't advertise the git mirror repo much I think.

For the short term I think we have more important tasks to do, but
for me it seems like a goal we should tackle soon, also because it
simplifies some background work.

What do you think?

  Alexander