[MPlayer-dev-eng] Size of codecs_t, CODECS_MAX_FOURCC

Compn tempn at mi.rr.com
Tue May 30 20:44:57 EEST 2017

On Mon, 29 May 2017 21:36:34 +0300, Lauri Kasanen <cand at gmx.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Having just updated mplayer, I had a quick look at its current size.
> The builtin codec arrays take 700kb currently.

updated it how? did you --disable-mencoder and also disable all of the
encoders in ffmpeg compile? that usually shrinks mplayer binary size
considerably. also check what libs are linked in and strip debug
symbols.

> The biggest offender, fourcc, could be reduced: the largest codec in
> codecs.conf includes 71 fourccs, less than the 92 currently set as the
> max. Is there any reason to use such a high number? Does some external
> dll codec use that many?

ugh 71 fourccs , for mpeg2.

afaik there is no binary codec that supports 92 fourccs. most codecs
are made to support their companies specific products only, usually
only supporting a dozen fourccs max.

except for ffdshow ... but i hope no one is using ffdshow with mplayer.
if they are using ffdshow with mplayer, they should let me know.

> Dropping it to the 71 would save 100kb. 72 or 80 would be more "round",
> saving less but maybe giving some headroom to add fourccs to that
> largest codec.

is there a way to change the code without reducing the max fourcc
number, so that it does not require that much size in the binary?

unfortunately, i think we will find more mpeg2 fourcc in the wild in
the future, so i am not for reducing this max fourcc number.

please see my binary codec fourcc list here, it will show you the sad
state of codecs, fourccs, fourcc registration, etc.

https://wiki.multimedia.cx/index.php/Category_talk:Video_FourCCs

those are mostly from vfw codecs only. i have not even touched the
surface of qtx or dshow codecs.

-compn