[MPlayer-dev-eng] New MPlayer release soon

Ivan Kalvachev ikalvachev at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 22:35:21 CEST 2015

On 9/5/15, Roberto Togni <rxt at rtogni.it> wrote:
> On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:17:15 +0300
> Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 8/29/15, Roberto Togni <rxt at rtogni.it> wrote:
>> > Hi all.
>> >
>> > I'd like to do a new release of MPlayer, using the soon to be
>> > released FFmpeg 2.8.
>> >
>> > This will be the last FFmpeg release before a lot of old APIs are
>> > dropped; since the support in MPlayer for their replacement is very new
>> > it would be good to have a stable version in case of problems.
>> > Also some features will have to be removed in MPlayer after (eg. XvMC,
>>
>> Why are you giving XvMC as example?
>
> No special reasons, it's just one thing that I remember having no
> replacement when it's dropped from FFmpeg.
>
> If you think it's important, I can mention in the release notes that
> this will be the last version that supports it.

Why do you think FFmpeg is dropping it?
FF_API_XVMC is not for removing XvMC, at least not in FFmpeg.

I've converted it to hwaccel about year or two ago. Then I simplified
the API that breaks the ABI, so I used the existing FF_API_XVMC to
signal the API change.

What I'm asking is if there is some breakage caused by the other API's
that needs fixing in MPlayer. e.g. removing of get_buffer() interface.