[MPlayer-dev-eng] New MPlayer release soon

Roberto Togni rxt at rtogni.it
Mon Sep 21 22:49:34 CEST 2015

On Sat, 19 Sep 2015 23:35:21 +0300
Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/5/15, Roberto Togni <rxt at rtogni.it> wrote:
> > On Mon, 31 Aug 2015 11:17:15 +0300
> > Ivan Kalvachev <ikalvachev at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Why are you giving XvMC as example?
> >
> > No special reasons, it's just one thing that I remember having no
> > replacement when it's dropped from FFmpeg.
> >
> > If you think it's important, I can mention in the release notes that
> > this will be the last version that supports it.
>
> Why do you think FFmpeg is dropping it?
> FF_API_XVMC is not for removing XvMC, at least not in FFmpeg.
>
> I've converted it to hwaccel about year or two ago. Then I simplified
> the API that breaks the ABI, so I used the existing FF_API_XVMC to
> signal the API change.
>
> What I'm asking is if there is some breakage caused by the other API's
> that needs fixing in MPlayer. e.g. removing of get_buffer() interface.

I misunderstood the meaning of FF_API_XVMC, I thought it was going to
remove XvMC functionality.

I have no idea XvMC works in MPlayer now, I never used it before (I
never used hwaccel before I made the get_buffer patch).

The get_buffer changes should be transparent, since I just reused the
compatibility code from ffmpeg. At least plain sw decoders and vdpau
works the same as before after the api change.

If my card supports XvMC (sandybridge with internal GPU) I will test it.

Ciao,
 Roberto